Mont Blanc Base
The world famous Chamonix Valley in the French Alps is a good base for exploring the valleys and peaks in the Mont Blanc Massif. With Switzerland and Italy just a 30 minute drive away it allows us to experience three different cultures in just as many days. Then of course there's also the wonderful mix of different foods and wines!
- Mont de l'Arpille in Switzerland. This is a great day out beginning with forests, then passing through a mountain meadow and on to the peak itself. Magnificent views to be had of many of the major alpine peaks.
- The Petit Croisse Baulet in France is a snowshoe classic. The summit is fine viewpoint which is reached by a gentle ridge allowing us to enjoy views of both sides of the valley. We begin from the tiny hamlet of Le Plan after a scenic drive from the Chamonix valley.
- Mont Truc in the Valley of Les Contamines offers another great panorama featuring the impressive glaciers of Domes de Miage. We make our way up an ancient track in the forests, past isolated chalets, before reaching the clearing which leads to the summit. It's not unusual to sight chamois and ibex.
- Dent de Valerette offers views to Lake Geneva in Switzerland . This is a lovely peak with a breathtaking panorama of jagged ridges and sweeping valleys. The intricate wrought-iron summit cross makes a fine destination in an exciting location with massive cliffs falling away into the valley below. Be prepared to be impressed.
- Loriaz and the peak of Charmoz on the Swiss French frontier departs from Vallorcine, which means valley of the bears. We climb above the tree line to the meadow where the cattle graze in summer, before heading for the summit with views to the Mont Blanc massif. In the past the locals paid their taxes in bear meat, so I'm afraid there are no longer any bears to be seen on this walk!
Chamonix is easily reached from other European & Worldwide destinations by road, rail, coach or plane. For suggested travel links please refer to our Booking & Information pages for further details. Geneva is the closest international airport, only 1 hour 15 minutes away by road, making shared transfers, buses or trains easy to arrange. Please contact us if you need further advise on your specific travel requirements.